Adapted from joythebaker.com
Submitted by Linda Brisson Peterson
Yield: makes 8-10 modest servings--good for a small gathering
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of cloves
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups sliced ripe nectarines, skins left on (about 3 nectarines)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a medium fry pan, melt and brown the stick of butter till nut brown (a little lighter than when browning butter for Milk Toast, Brissons). Don't let the butter burn.
3. Pour butter into 8 or 9 in square baking pan. This recipe will not fit in a pie dish.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and spices. Add milk and vanilla and stir it up!
5. Evenly pour the batter mixture over the butter in the baking pan. DO NOT MIX OR STIR. Ribboning the mixture over the butter works well.
6. Gently and evenly arrange the nectarine slices on top of the batter and butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar, then lightly dash black pepper over top of it all.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown. The batter will magically migrate on top of the nectarines
8. Let cool for 10-15 minutes, and serve warm with something ice cream or whipped cream.