Originally created and taught by Grandma Arline Brisson
When I learned it from Grandma, nothing was really measured, so I have never measured anything when I make it either.
2. Once the butter is perfect, pour some milk in...I have never measured it, I usually just put in enough to fill 3/4 of the big pan...with enough room to dip the bread without spilling.
3. Turn the heat down to like medium low. You don't want the milk to boil over.
4. Add 1/4 cup of sugar
5. Add 1 tsp of salt
6. Add 2 tsp of pepper (this is approx. I usually measure the pepper by...are there enough black
specks in...and then I add a ton more.) Usually the browned butter + the pepper gives it that yummy kick.
7. When the milk is warm, put a piece of bread in the pan. Depending on how deep it is, you can dunk it with the spatula or whatever you need to do to get it all wet. Just a few seconds...careful not to let it fall apart.
8. Put it in a bowl or something that can catch the liquid.
9. Keep repeating until all the bread is gone...serve with syrup!!