Submitted by Marcia Van Camp
Inspired by https://m.facebook.com/buzzfeedtasty/
1 sheet of thawed puff pastry
1 bunch of asparagus (thick)
1 packet of bacon
1. Wash and count the asparagus. In the bunches I get there are usually 15 to 20 pieces.
2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and line a pan with parchment paper. Foil will also work but make sure to use non-stick spray.
3. Take the bacon that you need and cut each piece in half so that you have 2 long strips. For example, 20 asparagus means you need to cut 10 pieces of bacon in half. Wrap each piece around a piece of asparagus and set on the parchment paper.
4. Roll the pastry dough so that you will be able to get more pieces out of it. If you only have 10 pieces of asparagus you might not need to roll it out...but if you have more than that you probably need to roll out the dough. Remember to put flour on your surface so that the dough won't stick. Slice the pastry into strips. Anything from a 1/4" to 1/2" thick is fine. They don't have to be perfect or uniform, they will all taste good. Wrap the dough strips around the asparagus. I try to wrap in the same direction as the bacon but going the opposite way is fine too.
5. Put all the finished pieces on the pan and brush them with an egg wash. Sprinkle then with a little pepper and put them in the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. The dough should be crispy and brown.
If your asparagus is thin you can wrap up 2 at a time and they will taste just as good. Sometimes I also double up if I had a hard time cutting enough pastry.
These still taste good after being refrigerated. Hot or cold, they are so good!