Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Light and Fresh Hummus


I found this recipe on Epicurious. It is for some sandwiches to make (which sound divine, great combination) but I just wanted to make some hummus as a dip for my bookgroup on Monday night. I did a few things differently, as noted below:

2 garlic cloves (minced & mashed into a paste with 1/2 tsp salt)*
1/3 c well-stirred tahini
16-19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed & drained**
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice***
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp water****
3 tbsp fresh parsley*****

* I just did a generous dashing of garlic salt, california style. Another thing I read in the reviews was to roast or broil your garlic.
** I used a 15.5 oz can
*** I used 3 tbsp AND just used the kind you buy, I did not buy lemons and squeeze out juice.
**** Used the reserved juice from the can of chickpeas
*****Used dried but did use the same amount. You normally use quite a bit less dried than fresh. There was a lot of green in this hummus but I loved it.

DIRECTIONS: in a food processor, blend together garlic, chick-peas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and cumin, scraping down the sides until smooth (You'll need to do this a lot. Don't want any large bits of chickpea). Add reserved liquid & parsley, pulse until combined. (You may need to add more of the reserved liquid.) Scrape out of food-processor, add salt & pepper to taste.

Can be made ahead and chilled (so they say).

Makes about 2 cups.

It tastes different than any hummus I've had in terms of flavor, and I think now that I have the basics down I'll try to make some other kids. WAY cheaper than buying, very easy and mondo delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment