Date tried: November 1976
From: Betty Crocker
Submitted by: Mother Crumb
These are the first cookies I made for Doug when he went to Japan and we were both single.
I guess they made quite an impression.
¾ cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
¼ cup molasses
2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
granulated sugar to roll the dough balls in
• Cream shortening and brown sugar.
• Add molasses and egg.
• Sift dry ingredients together. Add to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.
• Cover. Chill 1 hour.
• Heat oven to 375 degrees’. Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into balls.
• Roll in granulated sugar.
• Place balls 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet.
• Bake 10-12 minutes or just until set.
• Immediately remove from cookie sheet.
Yield: 4 dozen cookies.