Provided by Amanda Pilmer and submitted by Marcia Brisson
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
8 ounces creme fraiche
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Chocolate Crust 2 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, creme fraiche, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cloves until smooth.
3. Pass mixture through a fine sieve set over a clean bowl; discard solids.
4. Pour filling into prepared crust. Bake until filling is set, about 40 minutes.
5. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool at least 30 minutes.
6. Set a heatproof bowl, or the top of a double boiler, over a pan of barely simmering water.
7. Melt chocolate in bowl, stirring occasionally; remove from heat.
8. Dip a spoon in melted chocolate, then drizzle chocolate over tart, forming decorative stripes.
9. Refrigerate until well set, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
Chocolate Crust Ingredients
Makes one 10-inch tart shell
1 cup all-purpose flour plus more for work surface
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg
4 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
Chocolate Crust Directions
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add butter; mix on low speed until butter is the size of small peas, about 5 minutes. Add egg; mix until ingredients come together to form a dough. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to just thicker than 1/8 inch. Brush off excess flour; transfer dough to a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan; trim excess flush with edge. Lightly prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes. Bake shell until firm, about 15 minutes. Immediately sprinkle chocolate over bottom of shell; smooth with a spatula.